Sunday, November 9, 2008

Lemme 'Splain.

No. There is too much.

Lemme sum up.

November 1 - 4: 2.5 million doors knocked.

Close to 2,ooo volunteers come to Delaware County from Out of State during those four days.

Obama wins PA by 55%.
(PA hasn't been won by more than 51% since LBJ)

Obama wins Delaware County by almost 61%.
(There was a time when you couldn't admit you were a Democrat in Delaware County. And there are still people in DelCo who didn't want Obama door hangers on their doors, because it "put them in danger.")

Obama wins all the Philadelphia suburbs by a very comfortable margin.

PA is called for Obama at 8:01, because the exit polls in the Philadelphia suburbs are so overwhelmingly for Obama.

At the time, I was in Chester, blind knocking on doors, making sure everyone had voted. They all had. Then, it was about making sure everyone stayed in line. They did. Then, it was about making sure that no one was intimidated away from the polls. No one was. Then, it was about keeping the polls open later -- they didn't need to be.

It all went according to plan. We watched the returns in a room in a church on a little tv with poor reception - and no one could really believe it. It was all over so quickly -- we'd prepared for a long fight, but it was just over, just like that.

We were prepared to get on the phone to Western states to make sure that they all got to the polls. We didn't need to. It was all taken care of.

We all went to a bar to watch. Dazed, exhausted, wrung out, in disbelief. And when they announced it, I just fell apart. I just fell right apart.

Most of you who know me know that I don't have much of a problem crying in public. I spent the first year of graduate school in tears. It's cool. But as amazing as it must have been to be in New York, or DC, or San Francisco when the news came out, there was something incredibly powerful about being in a place that had been so hard fought -- where everyone had worked as hard as they could to make sure that it happened in their town, in their county, in their state, in their country.

Pennsylvania, and the Philly suburbs, had been the center of the bulls eye for the last several weeks -- McCain had spoken at my high school, for goodness sake! And there was this sense of holding tight against the storm, and using up the last of our reserves to fight back as hard as we could. McCain spent more money in Pennsylvania than anywhere else. And it was just relentless, in those last few weeks. And it manifested in more and more people calling the office to say "I heard Obama isn't an American citizen. Is that true?" We were back to that. Or people cruising the parking lot, looking to start an argument, in order to distract the volunteers from doing the work that needed to be done.

So, there wasn't the same kind of dancing in the streets jubilation, because there were people at that very bar who were disappointed in the result (the bartenders were certainly among them). Which was an interesting experience, because I didn't want to hurt their feelings or rub it in, but at the same time, for the love of Pete, look what was happening!

Among supporters, the overwhelming feeling was relief. And then disbelief. And then relief. And then the realization of what had happened, while we were all so busy trying to make something happen.

It's like I'd lost sight of what it was that I was working towards -- what the goal was. And then it happened. And I remembered what all this work was for, and what it meant, and what we'd done. And I just cried, and cried, and cried. I cried all the way through McCain's speech. And then all the way through Obama's speech. And couldn't speak for crying when they called Virginia and Ohio and Florida.

People came over to comfort me. "Girl, it's gonna be ok. We won." And I did that shaky, can't catch your breath "I-I-I-know-I-I-I-just-can't-believe-I-forgot-how-much-this-means-and-why-we-were-working-so-oh-oh-oh-hard-and-I-just-can't...(sob,sob,sob).

So, you guys, I don't know if you feel it the same way, but I want to tell you, one more time, that we did it. More specifically, you did it. There were about 50+ people from my own friends and family who came down to Delaware County to help out, and by all accounts, you guys were rock stars. People heard about "Elizabeth's friends" and wanted a piece of that, believe me, because you guys rocked it, and gave us the boost that we needed in order to do what had to be done. You did it -- it wouldn't have happened without you. You did it, you guys -- you changed the world. That's yours now -- forever.

Now, I'm very sorry that I didn't get to see you when you were in Pennsylvania, but for those of you who did see me, briefly, you can confirm that I was a crazy person at the time and not much worth seeing.

Those of you who gave me money to do this thing, please know that you were the ones who made made it possible. I simply could not have done this without you. It's just the truth. I was amazed and endlessly buoyed by the support you gave, one dollar bill at a time.

Those of you who sent good wishes, and luck, and support from afar, I could feel it. I was working for you. It's a powerful and beautiful thing to feel that people are counting on you, and believe in you, and it's what kept me going. I didn't want to let you down. Thanks for putting the fire in my belly, and pushing me to keep going -- you probably didn't know you were doing it, but you were.

And now, because of all of you, I have this incredible gift of an experience that has already changed my life, and I believe, will change this great country, and the world. And it's because of you.

So, thank you. Thank you for that. I won't forget it. Promise.

1 comment:

sho said...

T H A N K Y O U, Liz! I won't forget-- Promise. ;)