Thursday, September 25, 2008

Holy Guacamole!

Oh my goodness!

Thanks for all the money, you guys!

Every day I come home to at least one envelope with some dollars from someone I don't even know. It's gone past being from friends of friends -- now I'm getting donations from friends of friends of friends. It's amazing!

I want to take some time to thank all of you personally, and write every one a thank you note like I was brought up to do, but I hope you will excuse me and let me thank you personally on November 5th. Or 6th. (Let's be honest).

Here's the news.

I leave for Pennsylvania in less than one week!

I'm definitely assigned to be the volunteer deputy field organizer for the office in Media, PA, which is the town next to where I grew up. I spoke to a few of the people who are in charge of the Obama campaign in PA, and they are awfully excited to have me, and I am awfully excited to go. They sound tired. They say things like "We're just going to keep working until we fall down."

Furthermore, I have been informed that Pennsylvania will be won or lost on two counties -- Delaware County (where I will be located) and Montgomery County. Whoever wins those counties wins Pennsylvania.

Lemme sum up: Obama can't win without Pennsylvania. Obama can't win Pennsylvania without winning Delaware County -- the county I will be working in. No pressure.

I'll post more specifics about things that I learn as I learn them. But for now, here's what I know for sure:

1. Register Voters in Swing States. Do what you can to help get as many people registered to vote as you can. If you live close to PA, and want to come and join me, I will always need and welcome your help, and it will be a good time.
2. Knock on doors. There's still a lot of work to do to persuade undecided voters (although how anyone can still be undecided remains a mystery to me). Knocking on doors is waaaaaay more effective at swaying voters than making phone calls. If you can, please join a canvass that knocks on doors, wherever you are. I know it feels wierd to go up to people's houses, but, seriously, having some personal interaction and letting people see how reasonable and logical you are is the best advertising that there is.
3. Get out the vote! If you can, please come to Pennsylvania or go to another swing state to get the vote out. It's going to be a massive ground operation to make sure that every single registered Democrat goes to the polls, and every single Republican and Independent who's indicated that they're voting for Obama goes to the polls too (in Delaware County, there are several HUNDRED THOUSAND of Republicans/Independents for Obama). Note: This means you have to register to vote absentee in your own state.

I have some specific requests to make of some of you -- people in New York, and people in Delaware County, in particular. So stay tuned.

And thank you!

No comments: