Wednesday, October 1, 2008

It's My First Day.

It was like the first day of school today. The sensation was heightened by the fact that I woke up in the bedroom where I had woken up on every single "first day of school" from K-12. And you know I'd laid my clothes out the night before and then woke up before my alarm went off, and made sure my hair was extra shiny and bouncy before I left.

The Obama Headquarters in Media, PA is located in an old car dealership, so there is plenty of parking, and also the wall that faces the street is one giant window, which is nice for the natural light. You can be on the phone, and be looking out the window. And people can pass by, and see the busy, happy campaign headquarters. Well done, all.


Someone did come in today and said, "It's had to see you guys from the street. You should put a sign or a flag or something outside." Um, ok. We'll look into that.

The people are great, and very, very laid back. No one really follows the news or the polls, or engages in much political talk. They just go in and do their jobs, which is, right now, calling people, and knocking on people's doors, and recruiting volunteers. Also, everyone is very polite, very organized, and don't seem at all stressed out - just a little tired. They're very, very good at their jobs. There are many people from out of state who have been working full time since this summer. Everyone seems happy to have me, and so positive and easy going and zen about it all. I feel very satisfied and productive. It is a good environment to call people from, and to encourage people to come be a part of.

There was a little bit of a surprise today because last night, Bruce Springsteen announced that he was having a rally/concert for Obama in Philadelphia. And if you volunteered for Obama, you could get a "preferred seating" ticket. You could sign up to volunteer and pick up your Springsteen tickets at any of the Philadelphia area field offices -- including, of course, Media, PA. So, you know, that increased the volunteer traffic a little bit today. There was a line out the door when I got in.

Also, a Korean newspaper came to the office today to take pictures and write a story. Keep your eyes open, everyone. There may be pictures of me on the phone in a Korean newspaper.

Am including photos of some of the homemade campaign art that adorns the office. (I like how the "Organize Like a Champion" poster looks like it has a big, bloody handprint in the middle of it.)



And now, to bed. Tomorrow I have to get up early. You know, to hand out Springsteen tickets.

Seriously? Obama = Coolest Ever.

How is this guy not going to win?

No comments: